Are you considering withdrawing from your studies?

There may be lots of different reasons as to why you want to consider withdrawing from your studies. These maybe due to health reasons, a career change or perhaps your programme is not quite right for you.

Withdrawing from your studies means that you are no longer a student at DMU. Before you consider withdrawal as a potential option, you will need to do the following:

  • Please speak to your programme leader or personal tutor for further advice
  • Ensure that you are clear about the financial implications of withdrawal before submitting your request
  • Obtain housing advice
  • Speak to a member of Student Finance and Welfare to discuss how withdrawing from your studies will affect your finances.

T:0116 257 7595 (option 3, then option 4) E:

Appointments can be booked via the Student Gateway, on MyGateway (

To formally withdraw from your programme (leave your course completely), you will need to complete the withdrawal paperwork. Please ensure you confirm your last date of attendance for teaching on your programme as this will be used to process your withdrawal and calculate your fee liability this year.

If you are a Tier 4 visa holder, The Home Office will be informed of all Student Route/Tier 4 student withdrawals. The Home Office will then process the curtailment of your visa; the visa will then be valid for a further 60 days only from the point the Home Office take this action.

Once you have completed your withdrawal form, please submit by email (as scanned attachment) to the ADH Student Advice Centre at

You will receive confirmation from the Faculty of your withdrawal via email. DMU Student Finance and Welfare will also notify Student Finance England (or relevant funding body) of your withdrawal from study.

Please complete the correct form from below

Home & *EU Settled Students

(*EU students with indefinite leave status may use this form, otherwise please fill out the Overseas (Tier 4) form if you have Visa conditions)

Overseas (Tier 4) Students

How To Submit A Withdrawal Application

  • Obtain the correct form depending on whether you are a Home/EU Settled or Overseas (Tier 4) student
  • Complete the form by filling out the required details
  • Please ensure you complete the student declaration at the bottom of the page
  • Please be sure to include your signature and confirm your last day of attendance (this will be the last day you attended a timetabled lesson)
  • For Tier 4 visa students, please ensure you that you also complete the student declaration at the bottom of page 4
  • Once you have completed your withdrawal form, please submit by email (as scanned attachment) to the ADH Student Advice Centre at with your name, P number, Programme and ‘Withdrawal’ included in the subject title e.g. Joe Bloggs P1234567 Fine Art – Withdrawal

Seeking help – some useful DMU contacts

Student Finance and Welfare (The Student Gateway, Ground Floor Gateway House) 0116 257 7595

The Accommodation Office (0116 257 7577) 

Arts, Design and Humanities Student Advice Centre (Vijay Patel Building) 0116 257 7394

DSU Advice (First floor Campus Centre)0116 257 6307    

Page last updated 31/08/2023 – if the information on this page is incorrect, please contact